collapse

Для создания НОВОГО ПОСТА, необходимо выбрать нужный раздел ФОРУМА и создать в нем НОВУЮ ТЕМУ. Если вы новый пользователь, то вам нужно ЗАРЕГИСТРИРОВАТЬСЯ на форуме

Автор Тема: 7 Reasons Why The Crew Loves Their Captain  (Прочитано 2412 раз)

Оффлайн bigbird

• Глобальный модератор
  • Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
    • Яхтинг от и до. Справочный портал
7 Reasons Why The Crew Loves Their Captain
« : 11.08.2016, 18:15:16 »

There are two rules on board the ship:

1) The Captain is always right…

2) If the Captain is wrong, go back to Rule number 1!

This kind of scenario was common in the past. The Captain was worshiped like a God. The crew was afraid of him. He could throw you out in the sea anytime he wanted!(laughs) Even movies depict that kind of attitude of ship captains. However, it only existed in the past. Although things have changed, the image of that tyrant-like skipper is buried deep inside the majority of seafarers’ subconscious.

In these modern times, when a crew member is about to join a vessel, the first question he wants to be answered is this, “Who’s the captain there?” Or if he knows a person currently that particular ship, he may ask something like, “How’s the Captain there? Is he okay?” The kind of life on board is greatly influenced by the Captain. He is the owner’s representative to the vessel, and like the owners, he acts as the boss. As the boss, he has the final decision with regards to anything concerning the ship. He dictates the overall atmosphere of the vessel. For those seafarers who have shared contracts with nearly a dozen of Captains already, I’m quite sure they will agree if I say that a number of these Captains are “Pain in the ass!” However, some of them are respected and loved by the crew because of their big hearts and the kind of leadership which adds value to his crew.

Let me share to you the seven reasons why the Crew loves their Captain…

1. He respects everyone regardless of rank

Respect begets respect. The idea of reciprocity is the real essence of respect. You can earn it by giving it away. Imagine how nice it is if the Captain, the person who has the highest rank on board the ship, manages not to take for granted or belittle the people at the bottom rank like the OS or other ratings. The true mark of leadership aboard the ship is not about power but influence. As we all know, influence is not an outside job, an inside approach is needed. In order to influence a person, you must let him feel you value him by giving him the respect he deserves.

2. He avoids blaming anyone

He practices the “No Blame Policy” on board the ship. When something bad happens, he approaches the problem in a positive way. He doesn’t like the blaming game. Instead of dwelling to the idea about who to blame, he wants to look for the solutions to the problem right away. He is sensitive to everyone’s feelings. He knows exactly when it is necessary to correct someone but he does not make it like an embarrassing scenario, instead he does it in a motivational manner.

3. He gives compliments and appreciation

He is a generous guy when it comes to giving compliments and showing appreciation. “Very Good” is just a common phrase but the impact it gives to the person who receives it is remarkable. When he sees a crew doing something right, he always says “very good” or “very nice”. Even if it’s just a very simple job, still, he takes time to appreciate you. Appreciation of little things really makes some big difference.

4. He listens attentively

When someone is talking, regardless of rank, he listens. He believes that any person he meets is superior to him in some other way. He listens because he wants to know everyone’s story. He listens by his heart, not only by his ears. He rarely talks about himself or his achievements, although he has a lot to tell, instead he enjoys listening to the crew sharing their life experiences as well as their problems. He is there to give pieces of priceless advice when required.

5. He shares his knowledge

He is benevolent when it comes to his knowledge and expertise. He has that abundance-mentality and believes that teaching and sharing his knowledge can empower his crew and can help them improve their performance on board. He does not only share, but also make it a point that you will learn something about what he is teaching you. He takes time to give you the attention needed for you to fully comprehend what he’s talking about.

6. He motivates and inspires

As the head of the ship, he has the kind of character that everyone admires. He walks his talk that is why his influence is very remarkable. His story about how he made it to the top is very inspiring. His hard work, discipline, sacrifice, and perseverance really pay off. When he is talking with any crew, he makes sure that upon finishing the conversation; the crew will be inspired and motivated to pursue his goals in life. He is a natural motivator. When someone makes a mistake, instead of letting the person feel badly for himself, he tells him that mistakes only make him a better person and that it is normal.

7. He values everyone like family

When the environment on board is like home, the desire for a harmonious relationship among the crew members is attainable. As the person who acts as the father of the crew, the master is looked up to lead them and to establish a family-like ambiance on board. What’s more wonderful than a ship whose crew members treat each other like brothers with love and respect? The long contract passes by like they never know it. And when the contract’s over, each crew member can proudly say, “I had a great time with this ship. I will surely remember this contract for a long time, and of course the name of my Captain will forever be remembered deep in my heart.”

The Captain must not only be a good manager, but also needs to be a good leader. He has the overall power on board the ship, but the manner he uses that power proves what kind of character he has. As what a famous American president once said, “If you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” For the past 5 years of my sea experience, I have shared contracts with ten Captains already, and among those ten, I am glad I have met three amazing Captains who are worthy of high regards, respect and of course, the love from his crew.

By Clint Mark Ironico Bañes

* Интересно почитать

* Поиск по сайту

* Последние сообщения

topic Яхтсмен Виталий Елагин вышел на связь спустя восемь дней после исчезновения
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
27.03.2024, 18:07:12
topic Механика движения комет
[Погода]
Fermer
24.03.2024, 10:35:22
topic Грустная история косатки, которая помогала китобоям: верования народа тауа
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
23.03.2024, 00:02:36
topic В Колумбии поднимут затонувший корабль XVIII века с сокровищами на $17 млрд
[География]
grebenshch
20.03.2024, 00:29:46
topic Вакансия дня: счетовод пингвинов в Антарктиде
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
20.03.2024, 00:21:11
topic «Секс-плот» — антрополог хотел доказать жестокость людей, но не смог
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
20.03.2024, 00:16:04
topic Редакционная статья яхтенного дизайнера Chuck Paine (США)
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
16.03.2024, 21:48:13
topic Грузовой корабль улавливает и перерабатывает свои выбросы углекислого газа
[Техника]
grebenshch
16.03.2024, 19:26:43
topic Самый дорогой подводный отель в мире с рыбами, плавающими вокруг вашей кровати
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
16.03.2024, 16:17:18
topic Морские подковы
[Машинный телеграф]
grebenshch
16.03.2024, 15:42:08
topic Как поделили океан
[История]
grebenshch
16.03.2024, 15:36:47
topic Dufour 44: новое решение